Serves: 8 | Preparation time: 15 minutes | Cooking time: 40 minutes
- Hot cooked pasta
- 250 gr of ground beef
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cans (about 400 gr) whole peeled tomatoes, coarsely crushed
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 1/2 cup of freshly grated Parmesan, plus more for serving
- 1 teaspoon of British Class brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon of Cool Runnings oregano
- 1 teaspoon of Cool Runnings rosemary leaf
- 1 teaspoon of Cool Runnings thyme leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon of Cool Runnings crushed chili
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat the oil in a pot over medium heat. Add oil and Crushed Chili then stir for 15 seconds. Add the onion and carrot and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is golden brown, 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook until soft, about 1 minute. Stir in the tomato paste and cook until brick red, about 1 minute. Add the crushed tomatoes with their juices, the sugar, 1 teaspoon of salt and a ground black pepper. Bring to a simmer. Partially cover the pot and continue to simmer the sauce for 15 minutes, adjusting the heat as needed to maintain a simmer.
2. Meanwhile, heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the beef, oregano, rosemary and thyme. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook the meat, breaking up with a wooden spoon, until it browns, about 5 minutes. Stir the meat into the sauce and continue to simmer, partially covered, stirring occasionally, until thickened and the flavors have blended, about 1 hour. Add a splash of water if the sauce becomes too thick. Stir the Parmesan into the sauce and adjust the seasoning with additional salt and pepper. Serve over hot pasta with extra cheese for topping.
3. Serve and enjoy.