Servings: 4 servings | Prep time: 10 minutes | Cooking time: 40 minutes
1 1/2 cup boneless salt fish
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 cup self rising flour
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 tsp Cool Runnings turmeric powder
- 1 tsp. Cool Runnings black pepper ground
- 4 spring onions (chopped)
- 1/2 large onion (chopped)
- 4 pimento peppers (seasoning peppers)
1. In a small pot, boil the salt fish twice for 10 minutes with three cups of water to get ride of excess salt. Shred using your hands or a fork and set aside.
2. In a clean bowl add flour, salt, turmeric powder and black pepper and mix well. Add in the chopped spring onion, onions, pimento peppers and salt fish and mix well.
3. Gradually mix in the water until you have a soft batter that falls in a clump when you scoop with a spoon. Test for salt and adjust to preference. In a frying pan, heat up the oil on medium heat for 1 minute.
4. Scoop the batter using a spoon and place it into a small heap into the pan. You can add up to 6-8 of them at a time. Fry for 3 minutes on medium heat, turning on both sides until golden brown.
5. Once cooked, remove from the pot and drain on a wire rack or paper towels. Fry the remaining batter until completely done and serve whilst hot.