Serves: 8 | Preparation time: 15 minutes | Cooking time: 17 minutes
- 4 fresh or frozen ears of corn, husks removed
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 3 teaspoons of Cool Runnings jalapeno crushed pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 2 teaspoons of Cool Runnings parsley flakes
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (from about 2 large or 4 small limes)
- 1 tablespoon of British Class turbinado sugar
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- 1 teaspoon of red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of Cool Runnings ground cumin
- Pinch of Cool Runnings hot chili powder
- 2 cloves garlic, pushed through a press
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons of Cool Runnings hot pepper sauce
1. For the salad: Preheat a grill on high for 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium high and grill the corn, with the cover closed and turning occasionally, until some kernels are black, about 12 minutes. Remove and allow the corn to cool slightly.
2. Using a sharp knife, cut off the kernels into a very large, deep serving bowl. Add the black beans, chickpeas, cilantro, green and red bell peppers, onions, Jalapeno Crushed Pepper Sauce, parsley flakes, salt and pepper to taste to the bowl and toss.
3. For the dressing: Whisk together the lime juice, sugar, salt, vinegar, cumin, chili powder, garlic and olive oil in a small bowl. Season to taste with hot sauce.
4. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to thoroughly coat. Let sit at room temperature for 20 minutes, toss again and serve. The salad can be made a day in advance, covered and refrigerated. Bring to room temperature before serving.