- 5 medium beetroot (approx. 500g)
- 200g/7oz caster sugar
- 450ml/16fl oz white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp crushed sea salt
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- ½ tsp Cool Runnings coriander seeds
- ½ tsp Cool Runnings black pepper whole
- ½ tsp Cool Runnings crushed chili flakes
1. For the pickled beetroot, wash and trim the stems of beetroot. Put in a pan with cold water to cover. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes until the beetroot is tender to the tip of a table knife.
2. Drain and leave to cool slightly. When cool enough to handle, rub off the skins with your fingers. Cut each beetroot in half.
3. For the pickling vinegar, put the sugar, vinegar, salt, mustard seeds, coriander seeds, black pepper and chilli flakes into a pan. Bring to a boil, stirring until the sugar dissolves, then remove from the heat.
4. Pack the beetroot into a large (500ml) sterilized jar then pour over the hot pickling vinegar. Seal with a vinegar-proof lid. Leave to stand for 2 weeks before eating.