Serves: 4 servings | Prep time: 14 minutes | Cooking Time: 26 minutes
- 8 corn tortillas, warmed
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 14-ounce cans no-salt-added pinto beans
- 1 14-ounce can no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 2 portobello mushrooms, stemmed and chopped
- 2 cups frozen corn (preferably fire-roasted), thawed
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 poblano chile pepper, seeded and diced
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons of Cool Runnings chili powder
- 2 teaspoons of Cool Runnings cumin ground
- salt and Cool Runnings ground black pepper to taste
- Shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream and/or torn fresh cilantro, for topping (optional)
1. Take a large pot and heat the vegetable oil over medium heat. Add the chopped red onions, leaving a few tablespoons of the red onions the side. Stir in the garlic, chili powder, cumin and cook until the onions begin to soften (about 3 minutes), making sure to stir occasionally.
2. Next, add the beans, tomatoes, 1 1/2 of water and 1/2 a teaspoon of salt and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil, then stir and reduce the heat to a medium. Let the chili simmer or until the vegetable are tender and the chili is thick, about 20 minutes. Make sure to stir occasionally! Season with salt and pepper to taste.
3. Once you are ready to serve the chili, divide it into bowls and top it with some cheese, sour cream and/or cilantro and sprinkle with the leftover red onions. Make sure to heat your tortillas to serve with it!