Serves: 4 | Preparation time: 25 minutes | Cooking time: 20 minutes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp British Class baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup Cool Runnings coconut milk
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- Vegetable oil for frying
1. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar.
2. In a separate small bowl, mix together the water, coconut milk, and melted butter. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until a dough forms.
3. Knead the dough for a few minutes until it is smooth and elastic. Divide the dough into small balls, about the size of a golf ball and roll them out into long oval shapes.
4. Heat a deep pot or deep fryer with enough oil to cover the festival. Once the oil is hot, carefully place a few of the dough balls into the oil and fry until they are golden brown, about 2-3 minutes.
5. Remove the festival from the oil and drain on a paper towel. Repeat with the remaining dough balls.
6. Serve the Jamaican festival dumplings hot and enjoy!