Servings: 4-6 | Preparation time: 25 minutes | Cooking time: 1h 20 minutes
- 2 lbs oxtail, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper, seeded and minced (optional)
- 1 tsp Cool Runnings ground cumin
- 1 tsp Cool Runnings ground coriander
- 1 tsp Cool Runnings dried thyme
- 1 cup Cool Runnings pigeon peas, soaked in water overnight and drained
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup Cool Runnings coconut milk
- Salt, to taste
1. Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the oxtail and brown on all sides, about 5 minutes.
2. Add the onion, garlic, scotch bonnet pepper (if using), cumin, coriander, and thyme to the pot and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
3. Stir in the pigeon peas, rice, chicken broth, and coconut milk. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer, covered, for 1 hour or until the oxtail is tender.
4. Add salt to taste and garnish with fresh cilantro, if desired. Serve hot. Enjoy!
Tip: This recipe can also be made in a pressure cooker. Simply brown the oxtail and cook the ingredients in the pressure cooker for about 30 minutes.