- ½ lb. salted pork, cut in large cubes (optional)
- 1½ cups Cool Runnings pigeon peas
- 6 cups water
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ¾ cup chopped sweet peppers
- ½ cup finely chopped tomato
- 1 tsp. chopped parsley
- 1 sprig thyme, chopped
- 2 cups parboiled rice
- chopped hot pepper to taste
- 1 tsp. salt
1. Soak salted pork overnight.
2. Cook pork with pigeon peas in 2 cups water until peas are almost soft; drain.
3. Heat oil and add garlic, onion, sweet pepper, tomato, parsley, thyme, rice and pepper; sauté for 3-4 minutes.
4. Add peas, salted pork and remaining 4 cups of water.
5. Bring mixture to the boil, lower heat, cover and simmer until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender (approx. 30 minutes). Serve hot.