Serves: 4-6 | Preparation time: 20 minutes | Cooking time: 1h 30 minutes
- 1 pound (450g) beef stew meat, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 3 potatoes, diced
- 2 cups beef broth (can use Cool Runnings beef bouillon cubes)
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup Cool Runnings pigeon peas
- Chopped fresh parsley for garnish (optional)
1. Toss the beef stew meat with the flour until evenly coated.
2. In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the coated beef and cook until browned on all sides. Remove the beef from the pot and set aside.
3. In the same pot, add the chopped onion and minced garlic. Sauté for about 2 minutes until fragrant and slightly softened. Add the sliced carrots and diced potatoes. Cook for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Return the browned beef to the pot. Pour in the beef broth and diced tomatoes (with their juices). Stir in the dried thyme and dried rosemary. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Bring the stew to a boil, then reduce the heat to low. Cover and let it simmer for about 1.5 to 2 hours, or until the beef is tender and the vegetables are cooked through.
6. In the final 10 minutes of cooking, add the frozen peas to the stew and let them cook through.
7. Ladle the hot beef and vegetable stew into bowls. If desired, garnish with chopped fresh parsley.