Servings: 8 servings | Prep time: 20 minutes | Cooking time: 1h 30 minutes
- 2 cups dried red kidney beans
- 10 cups water
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 3 sprigs of thyme
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium potato, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup yam, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup of Cool Runnings coconut milk
- 6 Cool Runnings pimento berries
- 2 cubes of Cool Runnings vegetable bouillons
- 1 whole Scotch Bonnet
1. Sort and wash beans, let soak in cold water overnight night for at least 8 hours.
2. When ready to prepare, discard the water and rinse beans, place them in a large saucepan with 10 cups of water and bring that to a boil. Once boiled, lower the heat to a simmer the beans until tender, around 45 minutes to 1 hour.
3. Add chopped onions, garlic, green onions, thyme, carrots, potatoes, yam, coconut milk, allspice, vegetable bouillon cubes and scotch bonnet pepper to pot.
4. Bring to a boil once again, reduce heat to a simmer and cook until all the vegetables are tender, around 30 minutes.
5. Discard the scotch bonnet when ready to serve!